Pavagadh Paragliding Site

For flying sites of Maharashtra (Kamshet, Panchgani), Konkan region and Goa (Arambol)
Forum rules
> SEARCH before you POST
> NO DUPLICATE MESSAGES in any forum / multiple forums
> Post your messages under appropriate forum
> Do not start a TOPIC, if it already exists. Continue the topic thread
> Posting abusive, slanderous, hateful, threatening messages may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 am

Site elevation: 644m
Facing: East
LZ: 240 m
GPS Co-ordinates (UTM):
43 Q 347318 m E 2485715 m N

KMZ FIle: http://www.paraglidingforum.in/docs/Pavagadh_Paragliding_Site.kmz

//////////////////////
The Forum Admin
PG FORUM - INDIA
Forum Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Forum
City / Town: India

Re: Pavagadh Paragliding Site

Postby deepak » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:01 am

Got some more info from Vijay about the site. Looks like the takeoff is a bit of an advanced one. But whatever the case, he said its an excellent cross-country site. They travelled about 10-12 kms headwind when they could've easily have gone 40-50kms that too in the early evening time. They'll take off soon today. Looks like we might have another nice site to fly on Indian Paragliding site map.

-Deepak
deepak

First Name: Deepak
City / Town: Pune

Postby deepak » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Ok, I returned from Pavagadh today and here are some more details. The takeoff is about 638m ASL and landing is 150m (unless ofcourse my vario didnt show me the right altitude). So the elevation is about 450m (which is good)!

Reaching the takeoff is part easy part hard. Easy, because there's a cable car running to the top. Hard because the takeoff area is not at the top where the cable car ends. Its about a 15 minute walk to the takeoff.

Takeoff is a bit of an advanced one with almost a 90 degree fall ahead. So one has to make sure that the wing is inflated and in control when you're ready to takeoff. The takeoff had a lot of cacti plants which Jyoti Thakur cleaned it when he happened to fall into them ;) Thanx Jyoti for that effort! :) We flew on the east side takeoff. Its pretty much clear in front of the takeoff so the wind would be consistent. Once few guys flew on the west takeoff too (when the wind switched west), but I think, as of now, the west takeoff is best avoided.

Close to the ridge, there are two landing areas that are good. One is a dry pond which I think is the best (thats where I landed). The other landing area is also good. Its a piece of land cleared up but there are lot of thorny plants around. So ... you gotto time and plan your landing right to make sure you dont land up in the thorns. Might be this landing area will be cleared up even further i future.

Once you go far, its pretty much flat lands and you'll find a lot of landing areas. Gurpreet and Vijay had two very nice XCs on Saturday where both of them traveled about 40-50 kms or so (Gurpreet and Vijay, please add some more details here).

Apart from this XC by Gurpreet and Vijay, all four (Rajan and Pendu) have been flying small distances of about 10-12 kms.

The conditions werent the best when we were there (even though Gurpreet and Vijay had good XCs). Winds used to start being very strong to nil in a couple of hours time. Weather pattern too needs to be studied over a period. Restitution, if hit, is excellent (even though I didnt fly in restitution). People went up 1300-1400m in restitution!

I think this site is a great one, but lot needs to discovered and understood about this site. The pros can add more details here and correct me if i got something wrong in my description.

-Deepak
deepak

Postby goanil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 am

WELL DONE RAJIV, AND MANY THANKS for a well organised paragliding holiday.
We all had a great time.
Your site certainly has huge potential, but, as Deepak said, lots more needs to be discovered, and so we have lots more to look forward to.

A couple of things to add to Deepak's post.

The chair cabin lift is in operation from 8.00 am to 4.45 p.m. only, so if you are stuck on the take off beyond that, you have to walk all the way down, and that is a pretty long walk down many many steps. :cry: sure murders your legs, specially the knees :cry:

Hotel Champaner is the only hotel at site and is located at the base of the lift system. It is pretty decent considering it is a govt run hotel.

Pavagadh is dry and pure veg. so all you carnivores,and tipplers beware :o

All in All it was a great change.

THANKS AGAIN,RAJIV.

Anil
goanil

First Name: anil
City / Town: panaji

Postby wizzman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:30 am

Well !! reading all this makes me feel ...me missed out one more good event grrrrr :oops:

Would surely try and visit this place soon. Thanks deepak and anil for providing this info. What about some pics and videos guys!!! bring it on :)

Happy flying to all

CheerZ!

Gurpreet / Vijay sirs...saw some nice pics on FaceBook...how about some info here !!! Thanks in advance ;)
////////
CheerZ!
wizzman

First Name: Manoj
City / Town: Navi Mumbai

Postby droy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:19 pm

What?? No non-veg??
droy

First Name: Dipankar
City / Town: Bangalore

Postby deepak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:31 pm

In Pavagadh you definitely wont find non-veg. But, in Baroda you should find places where you can get hold of some meat. Pretty sure you wont get beef anywhere!
deepak

Postby paraguru » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:27 pm

well few things i find here that are quite diff from my observations:
1. Restitution: i observed no sign of restitution..excpt for excessive use of this word. restitution is lift created by residual heat in surfaces which do not get there heat washed away as quick as surrounding.
2. thermic: was pleanty..consistant and well formed.

3. wind dying: well please realise that when thermic increases wind dies.. if mid day wind dies its good conditions, not bad..just need to takoff and reach it. So u need to time ur takeoff so u go just as thermic is getting strong enough to stop the wind.
4. steepness in slopes: 90 deg.. no way.. that is vertical.. i will be surprised if it was 60. 85deg will be south wall of top part. what is important in site selection isnt steepness but the edge of the slope..edge should be rounded enough for the airflow to follow it. if its like that then u get good airflow along surface so canopy rises nicely. If edge is sharp then airflow splits from surface and inflating canopy becomes bit of hit and trial. So dont get distracted by fearsome. Please remember fear and danger are often not same.

BTW i think this post comes in category where its free education LOL..u need start online fund for me.
paraguru

First Name: Gurpreet
City / Town: Bir

Postby deepak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanx for correcting me Gurpreet.

WRT takeoff, I agree that the takeoff slope itself wasnt more than 60 degrees but I was referring to the "fall" after the takeoff slope where Jyoti cleaned up the cacti? Isnt that almost a 80-90 degree fall?

I'll be the first one to contribute in your online fund for education! :D

-Deepak
deepak

Postby goanil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:57 am

Hey Gurpreet,

Thanks for the clarification on "Restitution".

The way everybody from Kamshet, specially, was spouting this word all the time, I was begining to wonder whether I was the only fool who did not kow what the hell this was. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Obviously new catchy words ar the in thing in flying. :D :roll:

anil
goanil

First Name: anil
City / Town: panaji

Next

Return to Flying in the Western India